If you’re needing an excuse to get out to try new breweries around town and meet some new people check out the Denver Mug Club. It’s basically a traveling version of the mug clubs that many individual breweries have, where you get your own personal mug that gets you discounts on fills and other perks. From the sound of it, they lug a case full of mugs to a different brewery every month and you get your first beer free, discounts on additional beers all month, and some other perks. All this for 10 bucks a month.
- March: Fiction Beer Company
- April: Briar Common Brewery
- May: Bierstadt Lager
- June: Spangalang Brewery
- July: Great Divide Brewing Co.
- August: Bruz Beers
If you happen to find yourself in southeast Denver and want to get in the Christmas spirit, Copper Kettle Brewing Company is again hosting their 12 Firkins of Christmas. Every year Copper Kettle releases one firkin per day in the 12 days leading up to Christmas, presumably to kick up the level of holiday cheer, or at the very least give an excuse to get out of the house and away from the visiting in-laws. Looks like they’re again bringing some interesting flavors to the holiday season.
- 12/ 13 – Basil Cherry Blond
- 12/14 – Cranberry Helles
- 12/15 – Rum Eggnog Stout
- 12/16 – Holiday Spice Ale (barley wine with spices)
- 12/17 – Well Bred Small Batch (aged in whiskey barrels)
- 12/18 – Aurora Strong Ale (aged in bourbon barrels)
- 12/19 – Vanilla Chai Coffee Stout
- 12/20 – NE IPA with Grapefruit
- 12/21 – Vanilla Bean Mexican Chocolate Stout
- 12/22 – Pumpkin Mexican Chocolate Stout
- 12/23 – Smoked Porter
- 12/24 – Apricot Sour Blond
A friend of mine is studying to be a cicerone and giving beer appreciation classes to help prepare. The next one – Beers of Belgium – is Saturday October 29 at Smiley Library in the Tennyson neighborhood from 1:00-3:00. It’s open to the public and totally free. Afterward the class will adjourn to De Steeg Brewing to apply lessons learned. Last week was German beers and was very informative, followed by great company and discussions. Stop on by!